Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 1 in a nut shell!

So, I have decided to start blogging about my internship (GPS) at River Valley Ranch. It is an internship that helps you grow in your faith while training you for full-time camp ministry. It's called GPS. I have loved every minute of it so far. I know there will be challenges, as there are many challenges in life, but I am excited to see how the Lord works in me and my life through them. I do feel like I am in a bubble here, but I love that. Sometimes I get homesick which is new for me. I guess since I don't have much time to talk I have really begun to miss my friends and family back in powhatan and in the burg. So far this place has really captured my heart. I want to share my experiences with others and this is a way I can do that.

Ahhh, where to begin with week 1??
Well, can I just say that the other 5 interns are sooooo much fun! There is Bill, Ryan, Taco, Sarah, and LaDessa. We are all from many different stages of life and come from many different backgrounds, but couldn't fit together more perfectly. I already see that we are becoming a family and really, that's what I was so hoping for! The Lord is good, what can I say?? =) We have done so much stuff already and it has only been a week. Well, there was a massive flood here at the ranch and so a lot of our first day was cleaning up. We have been training on all the different activties and playing on them too..shhh, don't tell. =) Our boss is Matt. What an awesome man of God who is soooo chill! He is married to Michelle, who is such an awesome woman, and they are expecting their first baby in October! It's a little girl! We have also done a lot of outdoors stuff like hiking, horseback riding, climbing, and a SOLO. So I know you are wondering what a SOLO is. Basically it is 24 hours in the woods alone, just you and God with no other distractions. It was an amazing experience that challenged me and allowed me to focus on spending time with the Lord and spending time in His word. I was able to talk to God with no other distractions on my mind. It was something I needed so bad. We also were shown around town the other day. It was so much fun. We have already hit Rita's up twice. We are running outta time cause they close in October!! I can't believe how well the group gets along. It is a blessing for sure. I know there will be tough days, but I know we will work through things. =) The full-time staff here are such wonderful people. I have felt so welcome and loved from day 1! So we have already compiled a huge list of quotes and inside jokes and stories.. love it. I think I am going to start a list of it right now. =)
Boomstang!! (our group saying!)

"That's a big one!" -Matt (talking about gunshots, but at the wrong time when i was going on the big swing)
"Who made the bee's angry?... RUNNN!!!!- Sarah & LaDessa
"Good morning!!- Me (when everyone came to get me from my SOLO spot)
Matt; What are you all going to do tonight?Interns: Get into trouble... We are going to break rule #1.Michaele: What is rule #1?Interns: Leave the bison alone.Michelle: ohhh, They don't really come to the fence anyway. Well, they will if you have corn.Interns: ohhhh... so we need corn....
"Bunny!"-Me

Believe me, there are more to come and that have already happened. I just can't remember. Oh, and the food here is fantasic!! YUUMMM.

-beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment